One of the oldest and largest trade organizations in the insurance field, NAIFA was founded on June 18, 1890 in Boston as the National Association of Life Underwriters. NAIFA celebrated 100 years of industry leadership with Voices From the Field (PDF).
- In 1928, NALU transferred its headquarters to New York City and eventually relocated to Washington, D.C., in 1956.
- In 1951, NALU created a conference, General Agents and Managers Association (GAMA), to enhance the quality and capability of the insurance industry's field management.
- In 1957, NALU formed the Association for Advanced Life Underwriting (AALU) to support advanced life insurance underwriters, agents engaged in complex areas of life insurance such as business continuation planning, estate planning, retirement planning, deferred compensation, and employee benefits planning.
- In 1990, a third conference of NALU, the Association of Health Insurance Agents (AHIA) was formed to sustain and enhance the business environment for health insurance agents and to improve the financing and delivery of health care in the United States.
- On September 29, 1999, the National Council delegates voted to change the association's name from the National Association of Life Underwriters to National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors.
- NAIFA has been committed to improving the quality of life for Americans and addressing social problems since 1956 when the association first started developing community service programs. NAIFA local associations currently volunteer in social programs for health care, homelessness, youth education, AIDS awareness, drug/alcohol awareness, the family, senior citizens and U.S. crisis relief efforts. Between 1981 and 1989, NAIFA public service programs were honored six times by the Reagan and Bush Administrations' Private Initiatives Program.
- In May 2000, NAIFA moved into its new headquarters in Falls Church, Va., after 40 years at 1922 F Street, N.W., Washington, D.C.
Mission & Vision
Founded in 1890 as The National Association of Life Underwriters (NALU), NAIFA is the only organization serving and representing insurance and financial advisors regardless of the products they sell or the focus of their practice. NAIFA is your professional association, and its focus is to help protect your business, help you grow your business and promote ethical business conduct.
The New Hampshire Association of Life Underwriters (NHALU) was chartered in 1890. In 2000, NHALU followed suit with its national organization and changed its name to National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors of New Hampshire. . NAIFA New Hampshire is a nonprofit association representing over 200 licensed insurance agents and financial advisors. The Bianco Professional Association in Concord proudly represents NAIFA New Hampshire as its lobbyist.
NAIFA Members are:
- Insurance agents
- Financial Advisors
- Multiline Agents
- Health Insurance and Employee Benefits Specialists
- Both Captive and Independent Advisors
- New to the Business, Industry Leaders and Everyone in Between.
Vision StatementThe National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors protects and promotes the critical role of insurance in a sound financial plan and the essential role provided by our professional agents and advisors.
Mission StatementThe mission of the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors is to advocate for a positive legislative and regulatory environment, enhance business and professional skills, and promote the ethical conduct of our members.
Affiliated AssociationsNAIFA's mission is advanced in part through ongoing partnerships with the following organization
- The Association for Advanced Life Underwriting (AALU)
- GAMA International
- Life Happens (formerly The Life and Health Insurance Foundation for Education)
- The Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT)
- The National Association of Independenet Life Brokerage Agencies (NAILBA)
- Women in Insurance and Financial Services (WIFS)
- LIMRA International